First Dance Song Suggestions – Making Things Unique
I came across this unique blog post on Offbeatbride.com and thought I’d share it with you. They had some wonderful suggestions for being unique when choosing your first dance song for your wedding.
Oldies but Goodies — along the same lines of “At Last”
- The Beach Boys “God Only Knows” (hear it)
- Shuggie Otis’ “Strawberry Letter 23” (hear it)
- Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get it On” (hear it)
- Otis Redding’s “That’s How Strong My Love Is” (hear it)
- Van Morrison’s “Sweet Thing” (hear it)
- The Zombies’ “This Will Be Our Year” (hear it)
- The Kinks “Waterloo Sunset” (hear it)
- Toussaint McCall’s “Nothing Takes The Place Of You” (hear it)
- Al Green’s “Love and Happiness” (hear it)
- (Ariel’s) Me’Shell Ndegéocello’s “Love Song #1” (hear it)
- Ben Folds’ “The Luckiest” (hear it)
- Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” (hear it)
- Massive Attack’s “One Love” (hear it)
- Mazzy Star’s “Fade Into You” (hear it)
- Portishead’s “All Mine” (hear it)
- Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day” (hear it)
Wonky ‘n Fun
- Adam Sandler’s “I Wanna Grow Old With You” (hear it)
- The “Family Matters” theme song “As Days Go By” (hear it)
- Doris Day’s “A Bushel And A Peck” (hear it)
- The Velvet Underground’s “I’m Sticking with You” (hear it)
- The Band’s “Cripple Creek” (hear it)
- Toto’s “Africa” (hear it)
- (Megan’s) Pavement’s “We Dance” (hear it)
- Jon Brion’s “Here We Go” (hear it)
- Neko Case’s “This Tornado Loves You” (hear it)
- Sufan Stevens’ “The Dress Looks Nice On You” (hear it)
- Wilco “I’m the Man Who Loves You” (hear it)
- The Cure’s “Friday I’m in Love” (hear it)
- Bright Eyes’ “First Day of my Life” (hear it)
- Nick Drake’s “Northern Sky” (hear it)
- The Pixie’s “La La Love You” (hear it)
- Bird and the Bee “My Love” (hear it)
- Obi Best “Nothing Can Come Between Us” (you can get a free mp3 here)
- The Moldy Peaches’ “Anyone Else but You” (hear it)
- The Mountain Goats’ “No Children” (hear it) — yes, some people find this song controversial!
- Neutral Milk Hotel’s “I Love How You Love Me” (hear it)
- She & Him’s “I Was Made For You” (hear it)
- Captain Beefheart’s “I’m Glad” (hear it)
Jazzin’ — along the same lines of Michael Buble
- Sara Gazarek’s “Makes Me Feel This Way” (hear it) or her version of “You Are My Sunshine” (hear it)
- Harry Connick Jr.’s “Come By Me” (hear it)
- Kurt Elling’s “I Feel So Smoochie” (hear it)
- Jamie Cullum’s “I Think, I Love” (hear it)
- Renee Olstead’s ” A Love That Will Last” (hear it)
- (Shrie’s) Chuck Barry’s “You Never Can Tell” (hear it)
- Barry Louis Polisar’s “All I Want Is You” (hear it)
- Sly & the Family Stone’s “You Can Make It If You Try” (hear it)
- Huey “Piano” Smith’s “Little Liza Jane” (hear it)
- Mayer Hawthorne’s “Make Her Mine” (hear it)
- Cat Power’s version of “Sea of Love” (hear it)
- Peter Gabriel’s “Book of Love” (hear it)
- Air’s “Playground Love” (hear it)
- The Fruit Bat’s “When U Love Somebody” (hear it)
Dark and Romantic
- Judas Priest’s “Angel” (hear it)
- Rammstein’s “Ohne Dich” (hear it with English translation)
- Type O Negative’s “Love You to Death” (hear it)
- Stone Temple Pilots’ “Still Remains” (hear it)
- Incubus’ “Monuments and Melodies” (hear it)
- Killswitch Engage’s “My Curse” (hear it)
- HIM’s “Join Me In Death” (hear it)
As in our last post for “Non-sappy father/daughter dance songs” if you’ve got any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments.
If you would like to have us at your upcoming event or wedding, please checkout our website at www.robalberti.com or request further information and we can check our availability and put together a formal quote for you.
Remember, we offer wedding disc jockey entertainment, iphotography, photo booth rental, event lighting, up-lighting and a/v rental services for all types of events in the New England areas including Newport, Providence, Boston, Western Mass, The Berkshires, Hartford, New Haven, CT Shoreline, & Fairfield County.
Rob Alberti, event director & lighting designer
Rob Alberti’s Event Services, DJ & Lighting
Serving the Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island areas
800 782 3033 or Email Us at [email protected]
Check out our other websites: www.audiovideorental.net , www.budgetentertainment.net , www.afterhoursdj.net , www.weddinginsider.net
Copyright 2000-2020 Rob Alberti’s Event Services, After Hours DJ, Event Uplighting – All Rights Reserved
Cassidy & Garrett OceanCliff Newport RI Wedding
Cassidy & Garrett Ocean Cliff Newport RI Wedding Cassidy and Garret had their wedding at OceanCliff Hotel in Newport, RI. It’s a beautiful venue that over looks the water. They held their ceremony in Wrentham and then headed down to Newport for their reception. They had a harpist playing to great the guests for their…
Planning Your Corporate Event
Making Your Next Corporate Event a Success If you’re planning a networking event that will have a speaking or presentation portion for your company there are a few good questions to ask yourself. What type of tech do you need? How many people will be speaking over the course of the event? Will they be…
Boston Marathon Gala 2023 BAA – Boston Athletics Association
Boston Marathon Gala 2023 BAA – Boston Athletics Association We were brought in last minute (only a week prior) to this year’s Boston Marathon Gala at Fairmont Copley Place where 150 of the whos-who were in attendance for this fundraising event. We teamed up with Suffield Sound (they provided the band sound support and uplighting)…
Weddings At Station 97 Essex CT
Weddings At Station 97 Essex CT – Station 97 On Main Weddings At Station 97 Essex CT: We had the opportunity to tour the newly opened Station 97 banquet facility. With guest count capped at around 100, it makes for a unique intimate wedding venue. They have an outdoor deck for your ceremony onsite or…
Weddings At The Mount
Weddings At The Mount – The Berkshires Lenox, MA Weddings at the Mount: Did you see seasons 1 & 2 of “Ginny & Georgia” on Netflix? When Georgia got engaged at the end of season one, they 1st referred to “Wedding At The Mount”, I nearly launched straight off of my couch and hit the…
What Is The Importance Of Lighting Design For Your Wedding?
What Is The Importance Of Lighting Design For Your Wedding? When it comes to weddings and special events, one of the most important elements to consider is lighting. Great lighting can transform an ordinary space into something extraordinary, set the tone for an evening, and even contribute to the overall atmosphere of the event. While…
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to find out pricing and availability for your upcoming event. We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline frequently. Get started today.