First Dance Song Suggestions – Making Things Unique
I came across this unique blog post on Offbeatbride.com and thought I’d share it with you. They had some wonderful suggestions for being unique when choosing your first dance song for your wedding.
Oldies but Goodies — along the same lines of “At Last”
- The Beach Boys “God Only Knows” (hear it)
- Shuggie Otis’ “Strawberry Letter 23” (hear it)
- Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get it On” (hear it)
- Otis Redding’s “That’s How Strong My Love Is” (hear it)
- Van Morrison’s “Sweet Thing” (hear it)
- The Zombies’ “This Will Be Our Year” (hear it)
- The Kinks “Waterloo Sunset” (hear it)
- Toussaint McCall’s “Nothing Takes The Place Of You” (hear it)
- Al Green’s “Love and Happiness” (hear it)
- (Ariel’s) Me’Shell Ndegéocello’s “Love Song #1” (hear it)
- Ben Folds’ “The Luckiest” (hear it)
- Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” (hear it)
- Massive Attack’s “One Love” (hear it)
- Mazzy Star’s “Fade Into You” (hear it)
- Portishead’s “All Mine” (hear it)
- Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day” (hear it)
Wonky ‘n Fun
- Adam Sandler’s “I Wanna Grow Old With You” (hear it)
- The “Family Matters” theme song “As Days Go By” (hear it)
- Doris Day’s “A Bushel And A Peck” (hear it)
- The Velvet Underground’s “I’m Sticking with You” (hear it)
- The Band’s “Cripple Creek” (hear it)
- Toto’s “Africa” (hear it)
- (Megan’s) Pavement’s “We Dance” (hear it)
- Jon Brion’s “Here We Go” (hear it)
- Neko Case’s “This Tornado Loves You” (hear it)
- Sufan Stevens’ “The Dress Looks Nice On You” (hear it)
- Wilco “I’m the Man Who Loves You” (hear it)
- The Cure’s “Friday I’m in Love” (hear it)
- Bright Eyes’ “First Day of my Life” (hear it)
- Nick Drake’s “Northern Sky” (hear it)
- The Pixie’s “La La Love You” (hear it)
- Bird and the Bee “My Love” (hear it)
- Obi Best “Nothing Can Come Between Us” (you can get a free mp3 here)
- The Moldy Peaches’ “Anyone Else but You” (hear it)
- The Mountain Goats’ “No Children” (hear it) — yes, some people find this song controversial!
- Neutral Milk Hotel’s “I Love How You Love Me” (hear it)
- She & Him’s “I Was Made For You” (hear it)
- Captain Beefheart’s “I’m Glad” (hear it)
Jazzin’ — along the same lines of Michael Buble
- Sara Gazarek’s “Makes Me Feel This Way” (hear it) or her version of “You Are My Sunshine” (hear it)
- Harry Connick Jr.’s “Come By Me” (hear it)
- Kurt Elling’s “I Feel So Smoochie” (hear it)
- Jamie Cullum’s “I Think, I Love” (hear it)
- Renee Olstead’s ” A Love That Will Last” (hear it)
- (Shrie’s) Chuck Barry’s “You Never Can Tell” (hear it)
- Barry Louis Polisar’s “All I Want Is You” (hear it)
- Sly & the Family Stone’s “You Can Make It If You Try” (hear it)
- Huey “Piano” Smith’s “Little Liza Jane” (hear it)
- Mayer Hawthorne’s “Make Her Mine” (hear it)
- Cat Power’s version of “Sea of Love” (hear it)
- Peter Gabriel’s “Book of Love” (hear it)
- Air’s “Playground Love” (hear it)
- The Fruit Bat’s “When U Love Somebody” (hear it)
Dark and Romantic
- Judas Priest’s “Angel” (hear it)
- Rammstein’s “Ohne Dich” (hear it with English translation)
- Type O Negative’s “Love You to Death” (hear it)
- Stone Temple Pilots’ “Still Remains” (hear it)
- Incubus’ “Monuments and Melodies” (hear it)
- Killswitch Engage’s “My Curse” (hear it)
- HIM’s “Join Me In Death” (hear it)
As in our last post for “Non-sappy father/daughter dance songs” if you’ve got any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments.
If you would like to have us at your upcoming event or wedding, please checkout our website at www.robalberti.com or request further information and we can check our availability and put together a formal quote for you.
Remember, we offer wedding disc jockey entertainment, iphotography, photo booth rental, event lighting, up-lighting and a/v rental services for all types of events in the New England areas including Newport, Providence, Boston, Western Mass, The Berkshires, Hartford, New Haven, CT Shoreline, & Fairfield County.
Copyright 2000-2020 Rob Alberti’s Event Services, After Hours DJ, Event Uplighting – All Rights Reserved
Adam + Julia at Gedney Farm DJ Jesse handled the music for Adam and Julia’s ceremony and reception at Gedney Farm in New Marlboro MA. Cheslea Proulx Photography was kind enough to share some images from their wedding. Check them out below! Gedney [email protected] Chelsea Proulx [email protected] DJ [email protected]@robalbertievents Chelsea Proulx [email protected]
Hannah + Matt at Country Club of Pittsfield “Let’s Do This!” was the party cry at Hannah and Matt’s wedding reception at The Country Club of Pittsfield in Pittsfield, MA. With over 200 guests, this was a party in the making! They were married at Sacred Heart Church and then headed to the country club…
Hear Your Wedding DJ Mix Dance Sets of Music Many times our potential clients want to hear what we are all about – and as we can’t invite you to someone else’s wedding – we can let you listen to our introductions, dance sets so you can better understand that we: Do not talk between…
Bree + Fen Quonquont Farm Wedding Bree and Fen brought an all-out 2000s R&B, and rap party to their wedding. Once dinner was over it was Drake, Tyga, Lil Wayne, and all the other hits from that era. They held the reception at the beautiful Quonquont Farm. Cocktails took place outside on the patio followed…
Anton & Sydney – The Ranch – Southwick MA It was a blast getting to head back to The Ranch for the 2nd weekend in a row to work with Anton and Sydney! They held both their ceremony and reception onsite. It was a beautiful evening as the sunset during the ceremony before guests headed…
Worthington Ponds Wedding – Laurel and Kevin – Somers CT DJ Worthington Ponds Wedding – Laurel and Kevin – Somers CT DJ: Laurel and Kevin were married on a warm June day next to the lower beaver pond at the stunning Worthington Ponds & Farm. We provided microphones and ran a Livestream so that Kevin’s family…
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to find out pricing and availability for your upcoming event. We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline frequently. Get started today.