Finding The Right DJ Entertainment For Your Wedding Reception – Three Easy Steps
Finding The Right DJ Entertainment: What makes for a great wedding? I have always told clients that there are three things that people remember about a wedding when attending.
- The food – Not what they ate, but whether it was good or bad
- Your dress – That vision of you in your dress will be in their mind
- The entertainment – Whether they had a good time and stayed until the end or left soon after dinner
The reception hall could be decorated like it came out of a wedding magazine, the flowers and your dress could be breathtaking. You could have hired the best wedding photographer and your menu could be a “foodie’s” dream come true, but if your wedding entertainment is lacking – your guests will not be engaged in the fun and your party could be a flop.
So many times each year we work with some of the area’s best wedding planners (doing custom wedding lighting design) and the client chooses to skimp on their DJ. Maybe it’s a friend of the family that gave you a great deal or the DJ from your local bar. Every time these couples don’t realize what they did until it is too late and their wedding is less than they expected.
Learn More About Finding The Right DJ Entertainment
Here are some simple things to pay attention to when looking for your wedding entertainment.
- The Master of Ceremony: You should be able to see a video or hear audio recording of your potential DJ doing a wedding introduction to see if this is the voice you want announcing all your special moments. Mispronunciations, stumbling on their words or a cheesy DJ/Radio announcer voice – this is a quick way to rule out the “weekend warrior” DJ or “club DJ” who don’t have enough wedding experience. Playing music is only a small part of what your Master of Ceremony will do for you on your wedding day. They keep the pace of the party going. They coordinate all the behind the scenes things like making sure your parents are in the room and your photographer is ready. They even cover when the meal takes too long by getting guests dancing. A great MC is worth their weight in gold when it comes to the overall success of your reception.
- The Gear: Is your cocktail hour outside? Do you have a fire pit and plan on using it later in the night? Then you probably want a DJ with wireless speaker capabilities (main system transmits audio to a remote speaker placed outside or in separate room for facilities with multiple rooms). Having more than 100 guests? Your DJ should bring the right sized sound system for your venue and guest count. That means bringing more than just a pair of speakers on stands. (Subwoofer or multiple pairs of speakers). Ceremony on-site? Your potential DJ should have a completely separate system for this purpose so they are not moving gear through your guests during social hour – trying to reset gear as part of their main system.
- Reputation: Is their website up-to-date? Do they have blog posts or social media post with recent weddings? Do they respond to your phone calls and emails in a timely manner? (within the day) Do they have recent independent third party verified reviews? (The Knot, Wedding Wire)
DJ Prices can range from a couple hundred dollars to over $2,000 for 5 hours of service. I am sure DJ’s know what they are worth and price themselves accordingly. So, don’t expect a $500 Craig’s List DJ will give you the same results as a $2,000 full-time wedding DJ. You will know the difference. Your guests will hear the difference. Choose your wedding entertainment wisely. A great DJ will keep your guests engaged and on the dance floor. A bad DJ can scare your guests away in as little as 30 minutes after dinner ends. Who wants that at their wedding?
Check Our Availability For Your Wedding Date
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to find out pricing and availability for your upcoming event. We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline frequently. Get started today.
Hear What Your Wedding Might Sound Like
I want to find a wedding DJ in New Haven Connecticut
Rob Alberti is owner of Rob Alberti’s Event Services – Wedding Disc Jockey MC & Wedding Event Director + Wedding Event Lighting design rated by local brides + voted as “The Knot – Best of Weddings”, Bride’s Choice Award Winner from Wedding Wire + his work has been featured in Martha Stewart Wedding, CT Bride, VT Vows, + on numerous national wedding blogs such as Style Me Pretty, Wedding Chicks. Be sure to check out his blog, pinterest boards + on Facebook
Read More Blog Articles Like
Finding The Right DJ Entertainment
Adam + Julia at Gedney Farm DJ Jesse handled the music for Adam and Julia’s ceremony and reception at Gedney Farm in New Marlboro MA. Cheslea Proulx Photography was kind enough to share some images from their wedding. Check them out below! Gedney [email protected] Chelsea Proulx [email protected] DJ [email protected]@robalbertievents Chelsea Proulx [email protected]
Hannah + Matt at Country Club of Pittsfield “Let’s Do This!” was the party cry at Hannah and Matt’s wedding reception at The Country Club of Pittsfield in Pittsfield, MA. With over 200 guests, this was a party in the making! They were married at Sacred Heart Church and then headed to the country club…
Hear Your Wedding DJ Mix Dance Sets of Music Many times our potential clients want to hear what we are all about – and as we can’t invite you to someone else’s wedding – we can let you listen to our introductions, dance sets so you can better understand that we: Do not talk between…
Bree + Fen Quonquont Farm Wedding Bree and Fen brought an all-out 2000s R&B, and rap party to their wedding. Once dinner was over it was Drake, Tyga, Lil Wayne, and all the other hits from that era. They held the reception at the beautiful Quonquont Farm. Cocktails took place outside on the patio followed…
Anton & Sydney – The Ranch – Southwick MA It was a blast getting to head back to The Ranch for the 2nd weekend in a row to work with Anton and Sydney! They held both their ceremony and reception onsite. It was a beautiful evening as the sunset during the ceremony before guests headed…
Worthington Ponds Wedding – Laurel and Kevin – Somers CT DJ Worthington Ponds Wedding – Laurel and Kevin – Somers CT DJ: Laurel and Kevin were married on a warm June day next to the lower beaver pond at the stunning Worthington Ponds & Farm. We provided microphones and ran a Livestream so that Kevin’s family…