Finding The Right DJ Entertainment For Your Wedding Reception – Three Easy Steps
Finding The Right DJ Entertainment: What makes for a great wedding? I have always told clients that there are three things that people remember about a wedding when attending.
- The food – Not what they ate, but whether it was good or bad
- Your dress – That vision of you in your dress will be in their mind
- The entertainment – Whether they had a good time and stayed until the end or left soon after dinner
The reception hall could be decorated like it came out of a wedding magazine, the flowers and your dress could be breathtaking. You could have hired the best wedding photographer and your menu could be a “foodie’s” dream come true, but if your wedding entertainment is lacking – your guests will not be engaged in the fun and your party could be a flop.
So many times each year we work with some of the area’s best wedding planners (doing custom wedding lighting design) and the client chooses to skimp on their DJ. Maybe it’s a friend of the family that gave you a great deal or the DJ from your local bar. Every time these couples don’t realize what they did until it is too late and their wedding is less than they expected.
Learn More About Finding The Right DJ Entertainment
Here are some simple things to pay attention to when looking for your wedding entertainment.
- The Master of Ceremony: You should be able to see a video or hear audio recording of your potential DJ doing a wedding introduction to see if this is the voice you want announcing all your special moments. Mispronunciations, stumbling on their words or a cheesy DJ/Radio announcer voice – this is a quick way to rule out the “weekend warrior” DJ or “club DJ” who don’t have enough wedding experience. Playing music is only a small part of what your Master of Ceremony will do for you on your wedding day. They keep the pace of the party going. They coordinate all the behind the scenes things like making sure your parents are in the room and your photographer is ready. They even cover when the meal takes too long by getting guests dancing. A great MC is worth their weight in gold when it comes to the overall success of your reception.
- The Gear: Is your cocktail hour outside? Do you have a fire pit and plan on using it later in the night? Then you probably want a DJ with wireless speaker capabilities (main system transmits audio to a remote speaker placed outside or in separate room for facilities with multiple rooms). Having more than 100 guests? Your DJ should bring the right sized sound system for your venue and guest count. That means bringing more than just a pair of speakers on stands. (Subwoofer or multiple pairs of speakers). Ceremony on-site? Your potential DJ should have a completely separate system for this purpose so they are not moving gear through your guests during social hour – trying to reset gear as part of their main system.
- Reputation: Is their website up-to-date? Do they have blog posts or social media post with recent weddings? Do they respond to your phone calls and emails in a timely manner? (within the day) Do they have recent independent third party verified reviews? (The Knot, Wedding Wire)
DJ Prices can range from a couple hundred dollars to over $2,000 for 5 hours of service. I am sure DJ’s know what they are worth and price themselves accordingly. So, don’t expect a $500 Craig’s List DJ will give you the same results as a $2,000 full-time wedding DJ. You will know the difference. Your guests will hear the difference. Choose your wedding entertainment wisely. A great DJ will keep your guests engaged and on the dance floor. A bad DJ can scare your guests away in as little as 30 minutes after dinner ends. Who wants that at their wedding?
Check Our Availability For Your Wedding Date
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to find out pricing and availability for your upcoming event. We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline frequently. Get started today.
Hear What Your Wedding Might Sound Like
I want to find a wedding DJ in New Haven Connecticut
Rob Alberti is owner of Rob Alberti’s Event Services – Wedding Disc Jockey MC & Wedding Event Director + Wedding Event Lighting design rated by local brides + voted as “The Knot – Best of Weddings”, Bride’s Choice Award Winner from Wedding Wire + his work has been featured in Martha Stewart Wedding, CT Bride, VT Vows, + on numerous national wedding blogs such as Style Me Pretty, Wedding Chicks. Be sure to check out his blog, pinterest boards + on Facebook
Read More Blog Articles Like
Finding The Right DJ Entertainment
Kelsey + Jose’s Wedding at Millwrights Restaurant in Simsbury CT Millwrights draws a very foodie clientele to their unique venue. It’s all about the food at these weddings as it was with Kelsey and Jose’s wedding. They staged three heartfelt toasts during the multi-course meal. But when it was time to transition down to the…
Jamie & David Boylston Rooms – Easthampton, MA Wedding DJ Jamie and David held their ceremony and reception at the beautiful Boylston Rooms in Easthampton, MA. It was a beautiful day for the outdoor cocktail hour that followed the ceremony. When the cocktail hour was over, guests headed inside for formalities, dinner, and dancing. Jamie…
Katy + Peter’s Wedding at The Lake House Guest Cottages of the Berkshires Katy + Peter held their weekend wedding celebration at The Lake House Guest Cottages of the Berkshires in Lanesboro MA. They didn’t want any Taylor Swift or Black Eyed Peas or Justin Timberlake played at their wedding but they were all about…
Abbey & Zack – Farm at Carter Hill Marlborough, CT Wedding DJ I met Abbey and Zack through my fiance, Ashley. She and Abbey had been friends since they worked together at a daycare in high school. We met Abbey & Zack for lunch and they let me know they were looking for a DJ…
Eloise & Michael MA Wedding DJ – Bloom Meadows Hancock, MA Eloise, Michael and their families came to party! They skipped most of the formalities aside from the ceremony, a quick intro, and some speeches. The rest of the time was all dancing. They were married at Bloom Meadows on the back lawn before heading…
Leandro & Cordelia MA Wedding DJ – Greylock Valley Estate, Lanesborough, MA Leandro and Cordelia were a blast to work with! They held their ceremony and reception at Greylock Valley Estate in Lanesborough. It was a beautiful day for their wedding ceremony in the back of the house before guests headed to the sailcloth tent…